Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Weirdness and Proudness


Found a map of the world in a travel centre today with the strangest interpretation of NZ I have ever seen...... I have no idea what strange lookin' country those people are booking flights for!

I got an A for my mid-term Dutch exam!! Proud o' that coz I've found it jolly difficult!

And I saw a guy who looks JUST like Brad Pitt at a restaurant near the train station... in fact I'm still not sure that it wasn't actually him. I mean, why wouldn't Brad Pitt visit Gent? So while I managed to walk past Brad easy enough, if George Clooney shows up I will be absconding. Just so you know in advance.

Happy ANZAC day to you all for tomorrow! I really wanted to visit Ypres here in Flanders where there are NZ memorials (esp for the Battle of Passchendaele) but I have presentations at uni so can't go. I will get there one day!

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

No comments: