Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Isobel II


I just got myself a bright yellow set of wheels. Her name’s Isobel, she’s got 6 gears, 2 locks, a carrier, dutch-style handlebars AND a dynamo headlamp!!! (photos to come) I’ve hired the bike for 6 months (coz they only hire them for 3, 6 or 12 months) for around $50 NZD which is pretty good for 5 month’s transport I reckon. They even have do-it-yourself repair shops dotted around the place if I get a puncture or need to repair anything. So this evening I got to ride home (which is so much quicker!) and even though it was raining cats and dogs, I was ecstatic! I arrived back to my room soaked, cold, and grinning from ear to ear. The only thing I have to figure out is what kind of ribbon or attachment I can find that will distinguish Isobel from all the other yellow student bikes! On the ride home I managed to navigate pretty well I thought on the other side of the road, but intersections are going to take some work. Thankfully the route from my place into town is mostly along one road. Still feel a bit weird about not having a helmet, but I haven’t seen any sold here and the guy who rented me the bike didn’t even know what a helmet was… I will just have to be extra-careful. But like I posted earlier, bikes pretty much are the king of the road here so cars give way and people are pretty good about letting bikes pass through.

So, the city centre... The first day I went to have a look in the centre of the city (where it is pedestrian only... and trams…) I was completely blown away by the buildings there. I will have to take a panoramic video to show you all, its just amazing. There are 5 massive and gorgeous cathedrals all together (I have no idea why so many in one place but hey). I haven’t yet found out what they’re about or the history behind them (but one of them houses the Mystic Lamb – anyone heard of the painting?), and I spent that day just looking, didn’t take a single photo. That way I could just take it all in. Also, I saw my first Crow (you know, evil black bird that hangs out with witches and feeds on the eyes of small children) which at first I found a bit haunting but now have accepted as part of the landscape. The second day (today), I managed to get around without a map, and without getting lost, which I can tell you is no small feat. That’s right, its big feet! Anyways, I’m glad I spent the time the first day learning what’s what (and finding places on the map I needed to go) as it saved a lot of time and stress today when I had a big list of important things to do. Of course if I was to go off the main streets I would be completely lost but at least I’ve learnt the main stuff!

Yeah and that’s another thing… there really aren’t that many children around Gent. I have seen maybe 4 kids around school age (eg 7) and ONE baby. But that’s it. And when I was talking to Erin about it she just said “Kids? Yeah, they’re rare”. Which really cracked me up at the time, but now I think about it – they are! I wonder where they all are?!?! Maybe the crows got them?!?!

Here’s some dutch for you all to learn;

Duwen = Push (as in opening a door)
Trekken = Pull (ditto)
Ingang = In/Entrance
Uitgang = Out/Exit

And now you all know how to get in and out of doors!

Anyway I must learn to keep these posts brief as I know you’re all busy J

Xxx

No comments: